Monday, October 5, 2009

More Lino Cutting

OK, so I know it took me a while but I finally completed the second part of lesson 2. I had saved the cover to this magazine for a long time because I LOVE it! Didn't know what to do with it but I always knew it would end up as a piece of something I would do. Only bad part -- all the writing on it. So, knowing it was Tallinn, Estonia, I googled Tallinn and found the exact same picture. Here it is -- the inspiration for this lino cutting.

After printing the picture in black and white, I took it to be enlarged so I could cut it on a 12" X 12" piece of lino. Then I traced it onto a page protector so I could reverse it. I wanted the final print to look like the photo - not backwards. This also helped me decide which lines to leave in and which would not work out, etc. (for example.....some buildings now don't have the chimney they used to have!! LOL!!)
First I did a practice little piece (I'll show it later) to be sure which tool I could use to get the stone, tile, sea, sky, etc. effect I wanted. Then the cutting began........and went on.......and on........and on.......until finally I had it where I wanted it. (the shiny part is because it is wet just after washing off the paint.)


And here it is printed on white fabric. Wanted to see just how it would look, to check out if I need to make any corrections, additions, etc. Now I'll be looking to see how I want to add color to the print. So much fun!!!





2 comments:

Dahn said...

Oh Kelly--this is just gorgeous!!!!! I bow to your talent.
Dahn

Unknown said...

Wow Kelly,

I've just accidentally tripped over your blog. I'm doing the same course with Dijanne. I just love the wok you are doing. My little lino archway is very dull compared to your majestc shyline!

Are you going to post your pictures on the Yahoo Group site?

I like to gelatin prints too! We seem to be working in the same direction.

Sally in Hobart