Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Manhole Cover Project Rebirth

It's been a while now since this story began.

I had just completed a workshop on lino cutting and printing when I was downtown Minneapolis with a friend and we found the Nicollet Mall manhole covers designed by Kate Burke.  Possibly because I had just taken that workshop but I sooooooo saw them as beautiful potential lino prints!  With the help of the Minneapolis Chamber of Commerce, I was able to get in touch with Kate and she graciously gave me permission to use her art and to interpret it into mixed media textile art.  Then life went slightly (ok...a lot) off the rails and the project sat dormant for a bit. But starting in an online group with no rules and the artists get to chose their theme and size, etc., I knew it was time to dust it off and get it done!!

Here are the manhole covers on the Nicollet Mall as shown on Kate Burke's website.  You can see why I fell in love with them!!  http://katekburke.com/section/143737_Manhole_Covers.html

So although I do have a couple of them cut already, I'm using the one I'm currently working on so you can see the whole process.  So far I have a printout of the photo, made a line drawing from that photo, transferred the image to the print block and have just begun to carve out the bits I don't want printed.





It is a long process...the cutting part.  And actually I think the wolf is the most difficult image of the 11 of them. And so it begins......

1 comment:

Beth said...

I love it and she was so gracious to allow you to use her designs. Can wait to see the ptint.