Friday, June 14, 2013

Wolf Coming Into View

Nicollet Mall in downtown Minneapolis has some beautiful art manhole covers created by Kate Burke. All the covers depict an aspect of Minnesota Nature. A while ago I contacted Kate and got her gracious permission to use her manhole covers and portray them in mixed media.  You can see the original covers at Kate Burke's website.

I have been planning a series on the Nicollet Mall manhole covers for a few years.  Thinking about how to do it to get the effect I want. This year it has become clear and I started gathering the bits and supplies I would need.  The first one I am working on is the wolf. I had already done the lino cut, printed it onto the fabric I had dyed just for this project. Today I put the "metal" circle around the cover. This is made with a mixture of metal leaf from The Thread Studio in Australia. Beautiful stuff!!!

First I ironed a circle of fusible around the "wolf", piled the metal leaf onto it, put my ironing cloth over it and ironed it down.  Then I burnished it with a medium stiff paint brush.



I am posting this on Nina Marie's Off The Wall Friday!
Now onto the next step!

3 comments:

Regina B Dunn said...

What a great idea for a series! And the wolf is a fantastic start.

Sherri said...

I am originally from MN! I've been away for more years than I care to remember though. Always loved the woodsy connection that MN art has. What an intriguing project you're working on!

I am here because of Nina's blog. Thanks for sharing!

Beth said...

Very nice!!