Friday, February 20, 2015

Ice Painting

What better art can one do in the winter in the Frozen Tundra than Ice Painting????

It is a variation on Pounded Fabric in my opinion. Interesting results though.

The first set I painted liberally first and then scrunched into the containers. This time I used DynaFlow paints and started with undyed, white cotton (PFD)

Painted fabric

Ice cubes placed on top of the painted fabric. This turned out to be too much ice.


Then let the ice begin to melt in the studio...not in the batching closet. You can already see the paint starting to disperse

A few days later the ice was all gone. The fabric was put into the batching closet to dry completely.


When it was dry it was ironed. And this is the result. Very pale color and both will get additional work on them. Perhaps too much ice and not sure about the DynaFlow. More experimenting!!!


                     

Next I found some hand dyed pieces that definitely needed work. I scrunched these in a tray and put paint on them (dabbing and swiping). I used watered down acrylics for this set. Just colors that I had lying around...and that would blend in well with the boring flat dyed pieces. I also used some metallic paints on them as well. A girl has to have her bling!!! 

 Top to Bottom - Piece 1 then Piece 2

Top to Bottom - Piece 3, Piece 4 and Piece 5


Then I placed some ice cubes on top of them. No photos though...end of the day...very tired....enough said. The tray was placed in the batching closet and two days later the ice had melted and the fabric was completely dry. Then ironed them. And the final results.......

 Piece 1

Piece 2

Piece 3

Piece 4

Piece 5

I like them all, but piece 3 will get a little more loving attention shortly

So in the spirit of Frozen Tundra exploration....Ice Painting is a winner!! And since it is Friday....I'm linking this post to Nina Marie's Off The Wall Friday!! 



3 comments:

Regina B Dunn said...

I was digging through a drawer of fabric and found a snippet of the ice dyed fabric I won from you a few years ago. I used up all the rest. It sure came in handy!

Unknown said...

Oh I love hearing that!! Perhaps I should have another give-away when I'm done???
:-)

Debbie in Texas said...

I love what you are doing with your dyes-thanks for sharing-take care, Debbie