Friday, March 27, 2015

The Final Act?

Yep...it snowed a bit. Just a dusting really. Only about an inch. BUT...I grabbed the shovel and managed to scrape up enough to do a couple of 1-yard pieces!! It took all the snow on the front patio but I did it!

And I think it was so very worth it. This time I did both pieces dry and not soaked in soda ash. I sprinkled on the soda ash with the dye powder in between the two layers of snow.

Piece one - I grabbed the 1 yard piece and tied a knot in the middle, then in the middle of the remaining ends and finally I tied the loose ends together

Piece two - I folded the lengthwise piece in half then both sides in half again...accordion style. Put a long rubber band around it just to hold it in place.

Knotted

Folded

Is this snow dyeing adventure over here in the frozen tundra? One never knows!!! 

I'm linking this to Nina Marie's Off The Wall Friday. Be sure to stop by there and see amazing work by very talented artists!

7 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Snow dyeing....now that's a good reason to have to cope with snow....your results are great!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Mary! Yep, I'm probably one of the few here still praying for snow the end of March!! If anyone here knew that, they would probably gather with pitchforks and torches and storm my "castle"!!

Bethany Garner said...

Stunning pieces Mary... and just perfectly oriented to the wrap styles you used. You could never get these beautiful shards of colour any other way but with the crystals of the snow! Very well done!
Bethany in Kingston, ON

Kaja said...

These are both gorgeous.

Judy Warner said...

You are welcome to our snow. We still have plenty of it - just when I think our decks and grass will emerge, we get another inch or two.
I love the colors of your pieces - they will really be fun to play with.

Sandra said...

While I have not done it myself I have seen it done with crushed ice. Gives a slightly different effect but just as lovely.

Ann Scott said...

Beautiful! It would be hard for me to cut into them... You?